6/22/2009

The Taking of Pelham 123

Just came back from watching 'The Taking of Pelham 123' with my bro.

Thought it will be a good movie to watch, considering the fact that Denzel and Travolta are in it.

I have to say that I've always loved Denzel's acting. It is always convincing and no matter how many people are on screen, you're eyes are always pulled to him.

I'll skip the movie plot line cos you can just pick it off the net. But for a normally-hyped film, it is quite good.

The interesting part of the film does not involve the barely existent action, but rather the acting by Denzel and John. Amazing acting by both actors.

It is quite interesting to see how 2 people can build a relationship over a radio for 80% of the film's time. The tension builds up between the both, and you can see how each tries to outmanuevuer the other. Not as good as 'Collateral' though, but it was nice to see.

But I have to say that John didn't do quite a good job as Denzel. Denzel made his character believable as someone who's in the wrong place at the wrong time. And his interaction with a voice over the radio was excellent. Brilliance on his part really.

John...I love John. Don't get me wrong. But he didn't really give what he could on this. His interaction with the radio was not as convincing, and in some parts, I felt the dialogues were forced and not said naturally. In my opinion, I felt he could have interpreted charater in different way than the one he chose to portray. Play a more, calmer colder person to balance up with Denzel? I don't know. But I really liked the acting between the two.

There were other notable actors on screen, but about ten minutes in, you know they are just calefare as they disappear into the background.

Its just like 'Collateral'. I have to mention the number of very clever symbolisms they used and their references to the real world situation. Almost unnoticeable, but not too hard to spot.

Overall, this is a movie that's not made for everyone. People who love action and shooting will hate it. But if you love brilliant acting, then this is one nice film to watch.