8/04/2009

Where have all the Years gone?

Where have all the years gone?

It really is interesting to see how so many of us have grown up so fast...

From Kids who plonked themselves in front of Television set every Saturday to see Pokemon, to young adults who get up every Saturday morning to decided where they are going out today, and what new dreams and goals they are going to achieve...


Where have all the days gone? All the little things we used to do as kids?

Or has the act of growing up weeded out our childhood?


Harry Potter is a good example... A great example.

All of us surely remember the very first time Harry potter and the Sorcerer's Stone came out on the big screen, enthralling us with this new marvelous world which we were transported to every time we pressed play or flipped a page.

I clearly remember afternoons spent cooped up on a sofa with 2 Harry Potter books in front of me. I'll finish them all before midnight...

And if I couldn't, I'd stay up to finish them, hiding under a blanket with a flashlight, just like Harry did, when he had to do homework during his holidays...

But somewhere along the way, 'Awe' and 'Interest' have become replaced with words like 'Childish' and 'Nonsense'...

Is this the curse of growing up?

It saddens me to say that for these past few years, the thrill and euphoria I experienced whenever a new Harry Potter movie or book came out was gone...

I only felt disgust... Like why would anyone watch or read this crap??



Yesterday, I walked into a cinema filled with, oddly enough, adults.

The movie?


Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.



I was amused that so many adults would come to watch such a 'lame' flick...

Why were they here? NO....Why was I here?

Before the movie, I clearly remember telling my friend that this movie sucked and that it wasn't worth watching it. But I'd come for the company... So I decided to just enjoy the company.

But from the moment the reel started to roll, I was taken back to those lazy, cozy afternoons, remembering spells and secret rooms... to characters and locations...

Tt all came rushing back.

I was surprised when I turned to Suadz and told her at one point what Sectum Sempera, the spell meant and what it does. From which dark recess of my mind had this information been extracted from?

I knew the name of the Room in which Draco had found the Vanishing Cabinet... the Room of Requirement...

But the most painful impact came when Snape walked in, and with a single flick of his wand, killed Albus Dumbledore...

At that moment, I felt a rush of emotions through me... Not that the scene was an Oscar award winning moment...But what it meant...


Almost 11 years after I had picked up the first book, after I had been captured by this mystical world, I was witnessing something that really meant a lot to me.


The death of a character who had amazed and amused me all these years... A stone pillar of support who could laugh in the face of danger, with those 'twinkling eyes'... I watched with sadness as that twinkle left his eyes...


It was then that I realized why all these grown up people were sitting there...


This wasn't a movie for kids and children...

For the little ones who could barely understand what 'The Boy who had Lived' was all about...


This was movie for the real Harry potter fans...

The real Harry Potter generation...

Us...

The ones who had grown up on the lightning scar and secret rooms and magic and Qudditch...

Who had grown up on the Boy who Lived....

As I saw the credits roll, I remembered what it was like to be that little boy again...

I walked out with one question answered...


Where have all the years gone?

No where...

They were always right here...

We just didn't know it...